Friday, April 14, 2017

Liberate Your Art 2017

This is the second year I have participated in the Liberate Your Art postcard swap, and I have really been enjoying the connections with other artists!

Much of the discussion surrounding this year's swap has been done within the annual Facebook event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/248756725552993/. In addition, several artists have been posting on Instagram using the hashtag #LYA2017.

I had an interesting challenge this year with my cards. First of all, I almost missed the deadline for sending the photos by ordering fairly late in the process. Then, my order of 50 cards got lost in the mail. When I contacted Vistaprint, they verified with the post office that the order was lost, and then rushed another 50 cards to me right away. The day after I received the replacement order, my original order of 50 cards arrived, so I ended up with 100 cards! Rather than keep all of the extras to myself, I decided to send to everyone on my side swap list from last year, even those who didn't request a side swap this year. Then I trolled the Facebook event on a regular basis to add more side swaps to my list. Finally, I added relatives and several friends to the recipient list. On April 13, I mailed out 68 postcards. I still have a few left, but I'm sure I will figure out something to do with them.

Here's the card I used this year for all swaps:





This painting was done in an altered photography book that a friend bought me at a thrift store. I used acrylic paint and oil pastels, and chose the colors based on the photographs and print that had been on the original pages, now covered up. I also added some gold crackle texture in a few places.

Since I was so late in getting started, I kept my envelope art very simple again this year.


Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the postage and tracking sticker would cover up the one flower that was being liberated! Oh well, lesson learned!

And now for the cards that I received in the regular swap this year.

The first was from Sharon Hyll - "Never miss an opportunity to marvel at a glorious sunset."




The second was from Diane in Australia! She titled it "New York Winter" and quoted Edgar Degas - "Art is not what you see, but what you make others see." You can find more of Diane's artwork at http://bydm.redbubble.com .
The post office added that white mark in the middle by the way.


The third card I received was from Laura Summer entitled "Contemplation of Wings 1 & 2" for The Angel Project at http://freecolumbia.org. A quote from Voltaire on the back says "It is not known precisely where angels dwell whether in the air, or the planets. It has not been God's pleasure that we should be informed of their abode."





The fourth card was from Jan Jackson, http://jansartandmusings.blogspot.com.



The fifth card was Janice Darby's "Dreamer" with the message "Never let it be said that to dream is a waste of time, for dreams are our realities in waiting. In dreams we plant the seeds of our future." Wow, isn't that awesome!


Then finally, Kat Sloma's card to close out the regular swap. She has chosen for this year's theme "Experiment, Play, Create, Liberate!" which can be seen in the video and artwork at her web site's closing ceremony, both of which feature artwork of all participants! Check it out and be sure to explore the blog hop to see other artists' experiences this year! http://kateyestudio.com/2017/04/liberate-your-art-2017-final-celebration.html





Many side swaps have already arrived, and I'm expecting more to come! I haven't had a chance to photograph them yet and am thinking about adding a separate post for them once I do.